Australians are welcoming people from refugee backgrounds into their communities every day. There are many ways that we can get involved in our communities and support a more tolerant approach to refugee settlement in Australia.
- Speak out:
- write to your local Member of Parliament about the issue of concern
- write opinion letters to local papers about the issues
- share knowledge of refugee issues with friends and family.
- join a campaign to support refugee rights by contacting non-government organisations such as Amnesty International Australia or Medecins Sans Frontiers (Doctors Without Borders)
- join the campaign to remove children form detention by taking action recommended by Chilout (send emails, sign a petition, donate funds for the organisation to fund lobbying for policy change).