REFUGEES IN AUSTRALIA
Lesson 1: Supporting refugees
Participants will develop understanding of government programs that support refugees in Australia.
- Refugees in Australia » Supporting Refugees
- UNICEF Australia » Discover » What We Do » Rights of the Child
Step 1. Human rights
Ask students to brainstorm the basic human rights that we enjoy in Australia (shelter, access to food, education/ health care).
- For more information on Child Rights refer to UNICEF Australia » Discover » What We Do » Rights of the Child.
- Ask students to consider which of these rights refugees and asylum seekers can access or are denied.
Step 2. Investigation
Ask students to review the website Roads to Refuge » Refugees in Australia » Supporting refugees.
- the role that each sector (federal, state, local government and non-government) plays in supporting and promoting the rights of asylum seekers and refugees
- the types of programs and partnerships that support refugees.
Step 3. Refugee experiences
Ask students to refer to the experiences provided in the corresponding Our experiences and DVD sections, and to identify the support that was provided for each person/ family.
Ask students to create a text for local media about one initiative they read about on the Supporting refugees pages.