Lesson 3: Settlement pathways
Participants will develop an understanding of some different settlement pathways chosen by people from refugee backgrounds in Australia.
- Refugee settlement
- Roads to Refuge » Refugee settlement » Refugee contributions » Settlement pathways (Youl, Roderick, Aduc)
Step 1. Brainstorm
Ask students to imagine that they have just arrived in Australia as a refugee and need to find work.
- What type of work would you look for?
- Where would you look for work?
- What skills and experience would you need for work?
Step 2. Refugee experiences
Ask students to read about the Settlement pathways of Youl, Roderick and Aduc.
- What educational and career path has each person followed in Australia?
- Why do you think each of the characters chose that particular pathway?
- What personal qualities do the characters have in common?
Step 3. DVD Roads to Refuge
Ask students to view the DVD Roads to Refuge » Refugee settlement
- What career pathways have Riz, Nooria and Zainab chosen to follow in Australia?
- What contributions are they making to Australian society?
Step 4. Reflect
Do the experiences of refugees (above) support any of the myths about refugees and asylum seekers? Why/ Why not?